Ain Shams University (ASU) Faculty of Medicine is a public Egyptian graduate school and one of the faculties of Ain Shams University. It is currently one of the largest educational medical institutions in Africa and the Middle East. It was founded in 1947, making it the third oldest medical school in Egypt. It has promoted numerous programs of medical care to serve society, in addition to environmental development and continuous scientific research for local and international health. It became part of Ain Shams University in the 1950s, when it was established after adding several faculty members. Each year the faculty holds an annual conference dedicated to the recent advances in medical science.
The ASU Faculty of Medicine strives for international lead status and international partnerships in medical education and research to improve community health.
The ASU Faculty of Medicine prepares a trained physician capable of competing on the national and international level and capable of lifelong learning, and is also committed to standards of health care and ethics of service. The faculty supports constant revival of the curricula and research focusing on practical oriented research and health service plans that answer community needs and development.
We do our work targeting uniqueness and creativity in an encouraging environment that respects variation. We practice honesty and strive for justice in rights and commitments, and work together for the benefit of the individual and the community in an atmosphere that promotes continuous development.
The school of medicine was originally called El-Demerdash School of Medicine, before establishment of the University. The original El-Demerdash Hospital was established on August 5, 1928, by a generous grant from El-Demerdash Pasha and his wife and daughter. It was built on 12,400 square metres, and had 90 beds and the following sections: quarters for a resident physician and chief nurse, two wards, a surgery unit, out-patient clinic, a laboratory, kitchen, laundry room, isolation ward, an autopsy department, and a mosque containing the mausoleum for the El-Demerdash family. It was officially opened on May 5, 1931. A memorial metallic plate and a marble monument were erected to mark this event.
Ain Shams University, as the third Egyptian university, was founded in July 1950 under the name of “Ibrahim Pasha University.” It participated in fulfilling the message of universities and meeting the increasing demand of youth for higher education. When it was first established, Ain Shams University comprised a number of distinguished faculties and academic institutes, which were later developed into a university. After the revolution of July 23, 1952, it was suggested that Egyptian universities be given names that were strongly linked with the roots and historical landmarks of the country. Thus on February 21, 1954, the name of the university was changed to “Heliopolis,” and then changed in the same year to its present name, Ain Shams University.